Saturday, March 19, 2011

Settling.

How much do we love Redbox? THIIIIIIIIS much! Aside from occasionally having to wait to rent/return or having to spend just enough time in a McDonald's to leave smelling like a McNugget without actually eating one, it ain't a bad system.

The other day, I was forced to patiently wait behind a man pondering his rental options. This rather thuggish and gangsta-esque looking dude ending up choosing "He's Just Not That Into You", and while the wait was annoying, it definitely made my afternoon. I picture him in a bubble bath, drinking a Skinny Girl raspber-ita and contemplating the last third date he went on. Is it weird to say I think we bonded a bit? ....yes? Okay.

Because it's only a dollar (and eight cents, which sometimes matters to my sad, sad bank account), I can justify almost any movie selection - especially when left to my own devices. Occasionally, The Boy will have some input, but sometimes I just show up at his place and say, "Look what I got!" and that's that. This led to a few less-than-ideal movie nights in the past week.

The first one, "Dinner With Schmucks", was just disturbing and made me sad, and I'm not going to say any more about it.

BUT my other choice was...drumroll please..."Life As We Know It." Or, as it might as well be called, "A RomCom As We Know It...And Have Seen Millions of Times...But Yet We Still Might Tear Up At a Few Predictable Spots."

If you're not familiar, this is the Katherine Heigl/Josh Duhamel love connection involving a baby willed to them by their unfortunately dead friends. Of course, they start off highly incompatible and end up falling head over heels for each other (obviously), despite not dealing with any of the issues that plagued their forced relationship before, plus some baby humor. Yes, you've seen it before when it was "Knocked Up," and you've seen the template hundreds of times.

The Boy (getting a headache from rolling his eyes so much) finally asked how I, being a scriptwriter, could watch such a paint-by-number, predictable movie. And while I agree that it was pretty routine, there's something nice about that. Not every movie is "Inception." Sometimes a romcom can get me through the night.

And that's why these movies are so popular. It's nice to know that the attractive couple is going to fight, but then they'll realize they are perfect for each other, and then an outside conflict will break them up again, and then they'll be together forever at the very end. Sure. Works for me.

Don't get me wrong, this is by no means my favorite genre of movie, and I don't go out of my way to pay over $1.08 to see them. But what is wrong with wrapping yourself in the soothing snuggie of predictability every once in a blue moon? Nothing.

At least The Boy got to see Katherine Heigl's boobs, albeit clothed.

No comments:

Post a Comment